Unless you’re starring in an episode of “Storage Wars,” rummaging through a storage unit can be an infuriating experience. We created this list of self storage organization tactics, so the next time you’re searching for those holiday decorations, you’ll know right where to find them:
- Sweep your unit before move-in— A clean space sets the tone for a neat and orderly layout. Treat your storage unit like you would a closet at home, which you wouldn’t want littered with debris from the outdoors or a previous tenant.
- Label everything— This is key for quick identification of what’s inside those boxes. Use a fresh black permanent marker so labels won’t fade away, and be sure to write legibly. Ideally, use white label stickers instead of writing directly on boxes.
- Keep a list of everything in the unit— A photo inventory can be helpful to keep back at home, so you can refer to it as needed. It will prove useful when you find yourself wondering, “Where the heck is that _________?” and can quickly confirm it’s at the storage facility.
- Place the things you might need access to in the front— Take a few moments to plot the layout of your unit, considering which items you think you’ll need to access more often. It will make future visits to your unit quick and easy.
- Place your heaviest items at the bottom— Sounds like a no-brainer, but important if you want to avoid getting crushed under an avalanche of toppling stacks of boxes. Don’t throw things in your unit without a plan in mind. Unbalanced stacks can cause havoc down the line.
- Store your items in plastic containers in order to avoid mold and mildew— Plastic bins will protect against these perils better than cardboard. Also consider adding a moisture absorber for additional protection.
- Keep some distance between your items and the walls to ensure adequate air flow— Let your stuff breathe!
- Create a walkway in the unit so you can access items in back— Draw a blueprint of your unit and account for some space throughout for easy navigation when you visit later.
- Review your lease to make sure you’re not storing any prohibited items— For example, most facilities prohibit storing food of any kind. The rules are there for a reason; it’s not worth the potential risks.
You may have decided to rent a self storage unit, but the harder question then becomes — do I need climate controlled storage? Are the benefits of climate controlled storage worth the added cost? Climate controlled storage units maintain a consistent temperature range all year round. Some units even offer enhanced humidity control. While these options may be more expensive, they can offer peace of mind when storing certain valuable or sensitive items.
Basic self storage is sufficient for a lot of different household, business, or yard items. However, climate controlled storage is necessary and highly recommended for sensitive items like antiques, fine furniture, musical instruments, electronics, or fine art. If you’re going to be placing items like these in storage, you’ll want to consider all the advantages of a c.c. unit, a humidity controlled unit, or a unit with both features.
Here are some benefits of climate controlled storage that will help you make the right decision for your storage situation.
- Protection from extreme temperatures
- Protection from high humidity
- Comfort during use
- Added security
In many parts of the country, temperatures can climb above 100 degrees in the summer and drop below freezing in the winter. If you live in a climate that experiences drastic temperature changes, you may want to protect your items from the damaging effects of extreme temperatures.
Sensitive items like wood furniture, antiques, and musical instruments can suffer from warping, splitting, or cracking due to the constant change in temperature. Additionally, items like fine art, books, or business records can also be damaged due to the highs and lows of temperature change and extreme humidity.
If you question whether or not your items need to be stored in a climate controlled environment, our experts at SI Safe Storage will be happy to assist you with that decision.
Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat. Et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio cumque nihil impedit quo minus id quod maxime placeat facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus.Read More